28 Nov Finding the right Doula – 15 questions to ask.
Your Doula is part of your birth team, support network and also energy field – so taking time to choose the right Doula for you is very personal and crucial to your feeling of safety, care and joy during (and after!) pregnancy.
Most Doulas offer a free call or meeting to get to know them ahead of choosing to work with them.
In this blog you’ll find:
– Key things to pay attention to during your call
– How to prepare ahead of your call to get the most out of your meeting
– 15 questions to ask during your call
Here’s how you can prepare for finding the right Doula for you…
– What needs are you wanting to be met through a Doula? (For example: Emotional support, practical support like cooking and cleaning, spiritual guidance.) Get as specific as you can here and don’t be shy!
– What non- negotiables are you looking for in your Doula? (For example: They believe in God, they believe in a holistic only approach, they have a background in medicinal birth, they’ve given birth themselves, they offer in person meetings not just online etc.) 1. Why do you feel it’s important to have a Doula? (Get clear on your core desires.
– Prepare list of questions. (Take time to write yours and your partner’s questions out.)
See useful question suggestions below.
Here’s 15 questions to ask your potential Doula:
- Do you offer postpartum support? (Cooking meals nourishing mama?)
- What’s your relationship like with food and what type of food do you cook? Do you agree food prep ahead of time/ have a menu to choose from/ buy the food/ is that cost included?
- What rituals and ceremonies do you know/offer/hold for clients?
- Would you come to my location for in person meetings or just online?
- What’s your relationship like with a higher power? (If you’re spiritual, get curious about their spiritual connection.)
- Have you attended any hospital births? (If you plan a hospital birth)
- Have you attended home birth? (If you plan a home birth)
- What training did you receive? (Whats your background and experience in this work?)
- Do you have a back up doula? (What happens if you’re supporting another client on the day I go into labour?)
- What is generally included in your services?
- What is your philosophy on childbirth?
- What books do you recommend? (This question can help reveal their level of knowledge and interest.)
- Do you support the father? If so how?
- What is your role in labour? And what does support from a doula look like in labour? How do you work with the already present birthing partners?
- What made you want to become a doula?
- How much are your services and are their payment plans available?
Key Things to pay attention to during your call:
– Do they ask you about your life philosophy and what’s important to you? (Are they interested to know who you are?)
– Do they get clear on what your intentions are and what the key support you’re looking for is?
– Do they ask about your lifestyle/religion/ spiritual connection and views on birth, labour and the journey of motherhood in general?
I hope this blog serves you in finding the right support for you during pregnancy.
Finding the right Doula – 15 questions to ask.
Bone Broth Recipe
Christmas Gift Guide
Warming Masala tea for Winter
My pregnancy essentials
3 Grounding Hot Drinks for Vata Season
9 powerful questions for transformation
Root Chakra Golden Milk Recipe
Magic Cacao Elixir Recipe
Yoni (Vaginal) Sun Bathing
There’s 6 Physic Abilities – which do you have?
7 ways to activate your Crown Chakra
5 signs your Crown Chakra needs some attention
7 ways to activate your Root Chakra
5 signs your Root Chakra needs your attention
4 Simple Ayurveda Remedies for Flu Relief
5 ways to re-parent your inner child…
5 signs your inner child is being triggered…⠀
Seasonal Ayurveda Rituals = Ritucharya